-->

Friday 9 November 2012

Round the world travel: Surfer's Paradise, Australia



Where I am

In the universe's biggest misnomer.  I'm not dwelling on this one, because it sucked, big style and I don't like hating on places.  Apparently Surfers (I don't think you're supposed to have an apostrophe, but even that bugged me) is like Marmite; love it or hate it.  I found it to be like a giant Basildon with beaches.  In other words, cheap, tacky and unpleasant to be stuck in for two days.  It was essentially a motorway with endless shiny high rises between it and the beach.  Even the beach was too windy to be pleasant, so I have no redeeming qualities to offer.  Horrid.

Where I stayed

Another Airbnb rental.  This time a double room in a nice enough flat, with a nice enough landlady and a nice enough dog.  It was ok if not especially welcoming.  Total lack of breakfast or coffee made worse by the stark contrast with the lovely Al's from the previous week.

What I read

More Grazia. I am ashamed, I really am, but I can't help myself.

And then nothing, as my Kindle died a death.  I tried to buy a book, but there wasn't a bookstore in the entire town.  Which, I think, tells you everything you need to know about the town.

What I listened to

The second half of Maggie Stiefvater's 'Forever'.  Last in the series.  I miss Sam and Grace already.

What I ate

More crappy fast food as it was the only thing cheap enough.

A pretty good teriyaki chicken at Samurai Paradise, a dingy, dark little place where the poor waiters wore kimonos and greeted one in Japanese, complete with bow.  I cringed internally on their behalf, but they were one of the few places with free wifi.

Literally nothing else of note.  I ate meal replacement bars for breakfast on account of my host forgetting what BnB stands for.

What I did

Sat on the beach and got cold.

Walked the beachside path into town and wandered miserably around yet another shopping mall full of tatty little beachside stores.

Got my second Rabies shot at a Doctor's office in a different shopping mall, by a Doctor whose hands shook so much I feared for the safety of my poor arm.

Ran along the river and nearly knocked my new nose piercing out wiping the sweat from my face. Ouch.

Sat on a bench adjacent to the beach and got cold.

Had a massive grump.

Ached to leave.

Don't be fooled. There's no more photos, because this was the only thing nice enough to bother snapping.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...