-->

Monday 12 November 2012

Music glue: Sam Lee and the Gilly Boys




I have been lucky enough to catch Sam Lee at Secret Garden Party a couple of years in a row.  As anyone who's been will know, you don't really go to SGP for the music, as much as the experience, so I always just try to keep my ears open for anything wonderful.  And wonderful he is.  I reserve the right to romantically embellish this tale in my imagination, because he travels the lands learning traditional old folk songs and ensuring they are recorded and so do not die out.

In my head, he may be wearing tights and a doublet and carrying a lute.  In reality he was wearing very tight, white shorts and kneeling on the front of the stage.  It's a testimony to the purity of his voice that my friends and I were able to cease ogling/giggling long enough to listen to the most beautiful and most traditional folk I've heard in a long, long while.  

His first album, 'Ground Of Its Own', is out now and you should buy it for sure.




"This music is the glue of the world Mark. It's what holds it all together. Without this, life would be meaningless."
Eddie, 'Empire Records'
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...