-->

Sunday 16 December 2012

Timesuck Sunday: Fantasy and feminism



There have been a number of interesting articles about my favourite genre, fantasy, and the historically correct/incorrect-ness of misogyny and sexism therein.  As I have failed to read the last GoT novel, because I just can't take another rape/attempted rape/breast mutilation/murder I find these arguments challenge some of my base assumptions.

Here's what kicked it all off, author Scott Lynch zinging a bigoted commenter who complained about his 40-ish, black, mother-of-two, pirate protagonist.

Through that weird convergence of the interweb, Dan Wohl over at The Mary Sue has recently written about 'historical accuracy' as a justification for sexism in fantasy.

But while I must thank him for introducing me to 'privilege denying dude', I find his assertion that history was the history of men a little incorrect. Thankfully Tansy Roberts has unpicked this way better than I could: "History is actually a long series of centuries of men writing down what they thought was important and interesting, and FORGETTING TO WRITE ABOUT WOMEN."

To bring it all back around, Fox Meadows has this helpful PSA 'Your Default Narrative Settings Are Not Apolitical'.


Lastly, some older posts on the Song of Ice and Fire (GoT) series. I'm still mad conflicted, but we all know I'll read it anyway...

Tiger Beatdown's Sady not loving the Thrones.  She makes some good points, but she's a bit of a dick about it.

Spencer Ackerman putting 'dick' more politely.

Erik Cain thoughtfully disagreeing, with an actual argument and everything.





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...