-->

Thursday 16 August 2012

Round The World Travel: Brooklyn, New York, USA


So having been bizarrely and not entirely rationally convinced my plane would crash, I made it to New York with Tellison blaring pleasantly in my brain and without being felt up by the TSA.  Anyway, enough of the ado, this is it, the first real post! Woop!

Where I am

Brooklyn is supposed to be the lesser sister borough to Manhattan, but so far I'm *whisper it* liking it better.  Perhaps it's because I don't have either the money of an heiress or the lack of self-awareness of a fat, poorly dressed tourist to do it comfortably.  Brooklyn feels a lot like a giant Camden and frankly I'll always be happier there than Chelsea.  

Also, it's full of completely gorgeous houses - see photos below- reasonably priced and characterful bars and restaurants.  Plus, give or take a few skeevy guys, people just seem nicer, more chilled out and less self-consciously pretentious.  I'm now going to take with a pinch of salt all the pejorative things that get said about Brooklyn.  They might have been true 10 years ago, but they sure aren't now.

Where I'm staying  

With my lovely friend Dani at her apartment.  I'm writing this from the little garden out back, letting the sun dry my hair.  It's crazy hot here, but the humidity's down today, so it's lush.  

What I'm reading

The Lost Continent - Bill Bryson.  All about his trip round the US, seemed appropriate.
The New York Times, because, well, because!

What I'm imbibing

A slice of pizza bigger than my head, bagels, locally sourced organic coffee (seriously everything in Brooklyn aside from the greasy pizza is local and/or organic), an amazing thai 3 courser for $15, Brooklyn lager.

What I'm listening to

Two extraordinarily camp men discussing Othello, the man three balconies up whistling with surprising competence, sirens, car horns, not my ipod because 1) too much to see and hear and 2) safety first.

What I did

Aside from the eating and drinking that form the bulk of any of my travel activities.  I walked through Brooklyn Heights, the older, more expensive part of town, and marvelled at the painted houses.  Crossed the Brooklyn Bridge on foot and admired the "View From The..."  Didn't see Eddie though.  Enjoyed the ambience in several beer gardens.  Sunday brunch and live jazz.  Briefly visited the Brooklyn Museum.  Marvelled at the numerous and gorgeously ramshackle community gardens.  More walking around.  More eating.


Any suggestions for things I should do in Brooklyn or Manhattan in the coming week?















2 comments:

  1. Kate, things you may like while in NYC.

    Cupcakes made famous by the cast of Sex In The City at..

    Magnolia Bakery
    401 Bleecker Street, NY, NY 10014


    Probably the best pizza I have ever had...

    Lombardi's Pizza
    32 Spring STreet, NY, NY, 10012

    Fantastic decor and frozen hot chocolate. The burgers are awesome too...

    Serendipity3
    225 East 60th Street
    between 2nd and 3rd Avenues
    New York, NY 10022


    Take a walk along "The High Line"
    122 Gansevoort St
    New York, NY 10014
    A reclaimed elevated highway that is now a park. Its arty, you will like it.

    Much love, Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Went to lombardi's today. Amazing! Was a good hangover cure. And the high line is already on the list. Am definitely p for frozen hot choc, too. Thank you! Kx

    ReplyDelete

Been here? Done that? Do tell!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...